GCSE Psychology Unit 1 (4181)
Making Sense Of Other People
- Processes of encoding, storage and retrieval
- The Multi-store explanation of memory
- The reconstructive explanation of memory
- The levels of processing explanation of memory
- Interference explanation and studies of forgetting
- Context explanation and studies of forgetting
- Brain damage explanation and studies of forgetting (retrograde and anterograde amnesia)
- Eyewitness testimony
- Non-verbal communication and the paralinguistics: distinctions between non-verbal communication and verbal communication.
- Types of non-verbal communication: functions of eye contact
- Types of non-verbal communication: facial expression
- Types of non-verbal communication: body language
- Personal space: factors that affect personal space
- Development of personality
- Personality and temperament
- Eysenck’s personality type
- Antisocial personality disorder
Stereotyping, Prejudice and Discrimination
- Definitions of stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination.
- Stereotyping as oversimplification, leading to positive and negative evaluations.
- Description and evaluation of studies of prejudice and discrimination i.e. Adorno – Authoritarian personality/F-scale, Tajfel – In-groups/Out-groups, Sherif – Robber’s Cave and inter-group conflict.
- Explanations of prejudice and discrimination
- Ways of reducing prejudice and discrimination using evidence from studies including the world of Sherif (1961)